The capacity building program is a proactive approach to empowerment, aiming to improve the capacity to tackle challenges, adapt to evolving circumstances, and foster sustainable palm oil. Various means, such as training, mentoring, and facilitating, bolster the palm oil actor’s long-term performance. The lack of skill and knowledge among some actors in the palm oil industry, particularly in the areas of sustainable and responsible production practices, exacerbates environmental degradation and social issues, underscoring the urgent need for comprehensive training and capacity-building initiatives to address these complex challenges.
A comprehensive palm oil capacity building program for all actors—not only the farmers, independent mills, but also the government—who are involved in this industry will be able to increase their skills through the program:
- Sustainable Farming Practices: These workshops would provide smallholder farmers and large plantations with the knowledge and skills needed to adopt sustainable and environmentally responsible farming methods, such as zero-deforestation practices and integrated pest management/bio-fertilizer training.
- Supply Chain Transparency Training: Training sessions for palm oil traders, processors, independent mills, and palm oil dealers on implementing transparent supply chain practices, including traceability and responsible sourcing.
- Certification Assistance: Providing support and resources to palm oil producers, especially smallholders, in obtaining and maintaining certifications like ISPO, RSPO, or ISCC.
- Market Access and Trade Development: Programs that help palm oil smallholders, traders, exporters, and importers access international markets while complying with sustainability standards and regulations
- Environmental and Conservation Initiatives: Collaborative efforts with environmental organizations to restore and protect critical ecosystems, including reforestation and conservation projects.
- Policy Advocacy and Compliance: Providing resources to help palm oil actors navigate and comply with relevant local and international regulations and advocating for responsible policies and governance
- Technology Adoption and Digital Tools: Training programs for adopting advanced technology and digital tools to improve efficiency, traceability, and sustainability in palm oil production and trade
We started a capacity-building program involving careful planning and a systematic approach. As an initial stage, we conducted the Needs Assessment to identify the specific knowledge and skill gaps within the palm oil industry. Goal Setting is done to determine what you aim to achieve, whether it’s improving sustainable farming practices, enhancing transparency, or promoting responsible community engagement. Program Design is then undertaken to develop a detailed program design, including the specific training modules, workshops, resources, and tools needed for each target group within the palm oil sector. Ensure that the program is tailored to address the identified gaps.
Competency Development Training for ASN’s Agricultural Extension Workers in West Kalimantan
Traceability To Plantation Training for Independent Mills in Medan, North Sumatra