The social forestry approach included a commitment to allocate a significant part of the forest domain to local communities wishing to practice social forestry. It also included a policy that allows villagers – including millions of palm oil smallholders – to apply for land rights under the land reform program (TORA). From 2017 to 2023, Earthqualizer has assisted 18 villages in Indonesia that have gained access to social forestry management, covering an area of 61,000 hectares. 11,000 in 8 villages are in the process of KLHK, and 39,000 in 14 villages are in the process of consolidation at the village level.
Various landscapes with various forestry and agroforestry commodities have the potential to be developed and can potentially improve the welfare of communities around the forest. This landscape is also a forest area that is a habitat for various types of important and protected fauna and flora both nationally and globally that must be preserved. Earthqualizer encourages collaboration and the role of parties from the palm oil industry to contribute through the concept of a recovery plan based on social forestry landscapes.
Our Social Forest Support Program includes:
- Number of hectares of areas with Social Forestry Permit (village-administered forest and forest partnership).
- Indicative area of social forestry.
- Seven (7) priority landscape interventions and fifteen (14) new intervention locations (determined based on their dependence on oil palm agriculture, ecological values, and social components).
- Remediation and compensation monitoring.
- Assessment of high conservation value.
- Commodity diversification.
- Co-Management Agreement.
Our Social Forestry Program supports addressing the land use permit imbalance between large plantations and local communities by providing tools to monitor and assess ownership permits and mapping priority landscapes for community management.
Existing and Under Process Earthqualizer’s Assisted Village Forests
Current and Future Distribution of Earthqualizer Social Forestry Support Landscapes
- Bumitama Agri Ltd.
- Karunia Prima Nastari.
- Anfglo Eastern Plantation.
- Musim Mas.